Have you ever tried

dry shampoo?

Mirror Talkers study by Denise Baden, Professor of Sustainable Business from the University of Southampton

in collaboration with Eco Hair and Beauty and Green Salon Collective // funding from UK Research and Innovation // support from L'Oréal, Wella and Toni & Guy // research assistance from Stephanie Hodgson


ECO TIP 7: Have you ever tried dry shampoo?

Using dry shampoo can transform your haircare routine. Some people use it once a week in between shampoos, others while camping or at festivals and some alternate shampoo and dry shampoo days. However you use it, it can have time-saving benefits and a significant impact on your bills and on the environment!

Read on for:

  • Health and beauty tips
  • Money saving tips
  • Eco savings and tips
  • Bonus tips
  • ...and much more!


Using dry shampoo instead of always shampooing your hair (especially in hot water) can be good for hair as it doesn’t strip natural oils from your scalp.

Using it can also save your hair from being blow dried too often which can make hair brittle. 

Dry shampoo can make it easier for you to style your hair and can even give it volume!

It can reduce colour fade. Just think: the less you rinse your hair out, the less any colour you've added to your hair will rinse out, too!

EXPERT TIP: Coloured dry shampoo versions can help to cover grey roots temporarily.


Using dry shampoo can reduce energy and water costs by eliminating the need for washing and blow drying hair. 

FACT: Dry shampoo saves typically 8 minutes running hot water and 5 minutes blow drying. 

You also save about 62 litres of water every time you dry shampoo rather than shower and shampoo.

The cost savings of using dry shampoo once a week over a year saves approximately £80 per household.  


Two major environmental issues are water scarcity and global warming

Using dry shampoo substantially reduces your water usage and emissions.

Using dry shampoo can save about 8 minutes running hot water and 5 minutes blow drying.  That equates to approximately 1.04 kg CO₂e (carbon emissions) which is equivalent to the CO2 emissions from 220 hours of streaming on your smartphone (read more HERE). 

Using dry shampoo can save approximately 62 litres of water per shampoo. That’s 240 glasses of water! 


1: Using dry shampoo is convenient. You can do it anywhere and you don't need access to water, making it great for festivals or camping.  

2. Using dry shampoo is fast. Especially useful to have if you share a bathroom and don’t have time in the mornings. You can quickly use it in the bedroom kitchen, car, outside, anywhere when you have a spare moment.  

 How long does your normal wash and dry take?



Many of the above issues apply just as well to other household activities that involve hot water. Showering for less time, filling the kettle only as far as necessary and washing clothes only when you need to are all ways to save money and help the planet. 


Shampoo contains chemicals that can be very harsh on your skin and hair and strips natural oils from our hair making it brittle. Unless you work in a dirty environment or use tons of product, it is best to shampoo just once, you don’t need to rinse and repeat.


The best way to use dry shampoo is to just spray directly onto hair and rub it in, focussing on oily areas near your scalp. After it has been applied, simply brush it out. Your hair is now refreshed and easy to style!   

It's great to use dry shampoo once a week as a way to extend the life of shampoo. 

If you use it more than this, make sure you brush it out properly so it doesn’t clog. 

If you use dry shampoo several days in a row, you can get build up, so it is better to use it every other shampoo. 


Roughly 93% of the carbon footprint of shampoo, conditioner and other hair products is associated with heating water in the “use phase”. The remaining 7% is mostly packaging.


Some people swear by dry shampoo and have perfected their haircare routine around it. Some people use it as a way to boost a shampoo several days ago. Some people alternate shampoo and dry shampoo days. Some people only use it occasionally or for festivals or camping. Everyone is different and everyone's circumstances are different so how you choose to use dry shampoo is entirely up to you and your lifestyle.

If you use dry shampoo– please let us know more about your routine - we’d love to hear your experiences